Saturday 25 August 2012

OMINOUS BLACK - 10 Inch S/T Review

10 inch cover art

Ominous Black are a Sludge/Doom/Post-Metal band from Philadelphia

The members are:

Jason Verdone - Guitar
Chris Kauth - Bass
Evan Sadgiqacea - Drums and Vocals
Jeff Hiltner - Stunt Cock

Ominous Black are a brilliant and highly original band that blends Sludge, Doom and Post-Metal to sublime effect.

They have released some truly superb well received music over the years which you can check out on their BandCamp page right now.

Well the guys are back with their amazing S/T 10 Inch release mixed and engineered by the legendary Steve Albini.

It's a 2 track masterpiece that runs for 14 mins or so. What you have hear is 2 songs that features the band's best work to date. Plus they have Evan Sadgiqacea in their ranks. Who makes excellent music of his own with his own band - Sadgiqacea.

The two tracks on show - Salvaging the Thelemite that Resides not Beyond and At the Face of Mount Shasta both run for 7 mins each.

And what a 7 mins each song is. Showing what the band does so perfectly well. Blending hard hitting Sludge/Doom/Post-Metal riffage with sublime vocals & lyrics to match.

I love how this band switches from cool post-rock vibes before the loud crushing sludge/post-metal riffs blast out from your speakers.

Believe me ladies and gentlemen, this release showcases that Ominous Black have a long rewarding future ahead of them. As this release is simply phenomenal. You can hear every heavy pounding note, riff and vocals played to perfection.

It's such a shame it's only on for 14 minutes. I was a bit disappointed as I was loving every minute that I was hearing. And it had to end. But as I have said many times before - It's always best to leave the crowd wanting more.

And Ominous Black have done just that. I want to hear more and I want it now which is probably the best compliment you can give the band.

I can't wait for the full length record. These guys have released too many EP's and Split Releases. There time has come now to release a proper full length record. And I know it will be something special.

Highly Recommended.

You can buy this brilliant release from ace label Anthropic Records on BandCamp. I have to thank Shannon for sending this to me. So Thanks Shannon. Very Much Appreciated.

Check This Great Band Below: